What is Oral Glucose Tolerance Test?
- This test is find out how well your body absorbs and uses sugar (glucose)
What do I need to do before the test?
- For at least 3 days before the test, you should have an unrestricted diet (rich in carbohydrates)
- Diets with reduced calories can cause incorrect test results
- The evening before the test, you can have your normal meal and then fast for 12 hours before your appointment for the blood test
- During the fasting period, please do not eat, chew gum or drink anything except water.
What do I need to do on the day of the test?
- Please take this information sheet with you and report to the reception on arrival
- One of our staff nurses will take you to the blood test room
- A 5 ml of blood will be obtained from you
- You will be given a sugar drink
- A second blood test will be obtained in exactly 2 hours later
- You will be advised to have some snack before you leave the unit
What do I need to bring on the day of the test?
- A snack
- Something to read
- Enough coins for parking for a period of 3 hours